Why Is Reading Aloud So Important?
Most parents nowadays simply don’t have the time to spend with their children reading, due to whatever commitments they may have but the affects it is having on our children isn’t a favourable one. Also, Being distracted by this doesn’t help either.
Did you know?
- Your child spends most of their time at home – to be exact, 7800 hours.
- Your child spends 1/8 of that at school – to be exact, 900 hours.
Now you tell me, based on the above, which teacher has the biggest influence?
Further studies where done to see what percentage of children enjoy reading outside of school and the findings where shocking:
- Children in kindergarten enjoyed books 100%.
- Those in fourth grade, enjoyed books only 54% outside of school.
- Children in eighth grade came in at a 30%.
- Sadly, twelfth grade was at a shocking, 19%.
So what changed? We discovered that the change occurs in fourth grade as parents stop reading to them. This is why we urge parents to continuously read to their children or alternatively use a program such as Reading Head Start.
What Is Affecting Reading?
Fortunately and unfortunately, children are being exposed to too much TV and screen time. This is contributing towards the following in children:
- Child obesity.
- Sleep Disturbances.
- Attention span Issues.
What Can You Do To Help Your Child: Use The Reading Head Start Program
- Places Books around the house.
- Encourage your child to read.
- Get your child a Reading Head Start.
- Read with your child at night.
The 3 B’s:
The three B’s are the three best places to place a box of books in your home.
The three places are:
- Breakfast Table.